You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change Apple ID and email

How to change your apple ID and email address?

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 7:18 AM

Before you change your Apple ID

Sign out of all Apple services and devices that use your Apple ID. If you want to use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to change your Apple ID, stay signed in with your Apple ID on only that device.

If your Apple ID is a third-party email address

When you change your Apple ID that is a third-party email address, you can use another third-party email address. Or you can use an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already a login alias or alternate Apple ID for your account. To see these addresses, sign into your Apple ID account page. Click Edit under the Account section to reveal Reachable At. In this list, a login alias will have a  next to it which, when hovered over with a mouse pointer, shows this message: “This is an alias of your Apple ID email address.”

When you use your @icloud.com email address

When you turn on iCloud email and choose your @icloud.com email address, your new @icloud.com email is assigned to your Apple ID as a login alias. To see the email addresses that are a login alias for your Apple ID, sign in to your Apple ID account page and click Edit in the Account section. Hover over the question mark icon  next to the desired email. If you see a message that says, "This is an alias of your Apple ID email address," that email should be eligible.

If your Apple ID is a phone number

If you created your Apple ID with your phone number as your username on iOS 11 or later, see how to change to a different mobile phone number.

How to change your Apple ID if it ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com

If you use an @icloud.com, @mac.com, or @me.com email address as your Apple ID, you can’t change it to a third party email address. But, you can change it to an alias of your Apple ID address. For example, if j.appleseed@icloud.com is your Apple ID and you also have j.appleseed@me.com on file in your account, you can change your Apple ID to j.appleseed@me.com. When you change your email address, the Apple ID that people see when they share with you also changes.

To find an eligible email address that you can use as your Apple ID login, sign in to your Apple ID account page and click Edit under the Account section. You see Reachable At and a login alias with a question mark icon . If you hover over the icon, you see a message that says, "This is an alias of your Apple ID email address."

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 10.3 or later

1. Go to Settings, tap [your name], then choose Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
  2. Next to Reachable At, tap Edit, then delete your current Apple ID.
  3. Tap Continue. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use.
  4. Tap Next.

On your Apple ID account page

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in.
  2. In the Account section, click Edit.
  3. Under your Apple ID, click Change Apple ID. If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later.
  4. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use.
  5. Click Continue.

If you enter an email address that's already an alias or alternate Apple ID, and it ends with with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you see a message to confirm. When you change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com account, you can't change it back to a third-party email account. Your former Apple ID that ends with a third-party email becomes an additional email address for your Apple ID account.

Verify your new email

If you change your Apple ID to another third-party email address, you need to verify your account.**

After you enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that address. Enter the verification code from the email into the fields provided and start using your updated Apple ID. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email.

**You can change your Apple ID to another third-party email address if your current Apple ID is a third-party email address. You can also change your Apple ID to a login alias that already exists.

Sign back in

Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

After you change your Apple ID, you need to use your new sign-in information with all Apple services that you use.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password ...

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2019 7:18 AM in response to JD2166

Before you change your Apple ID

Sign out of all Apple services and devices that use your Apple ID. If you want to use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to change your Apple ID, stay signed in with your Apple ID on only that device.

If your Apple ID is a third-party email address

When you change your Apple ID that is a third-party email address, you can use another third-party email address. Or you can use an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already a login alias or alternate Apple ID for your account. To see these addresses, sign into your Apple ID account page. Click Edit under the Account section to reveal Reachable At. In this list, a login alias will have a  next to it which, when hovered over with a mouse pointer, shows this message: “This is an alias of your Apple ID email address.”

When you use your @icloud.com email address

When you turn on iCloud email and choose your @icloud.com email address, your new @icloud.com email is assigned to your Apple ID as a login alias. To see the email addresses that are a login alias for your Apple ID, sign in to your Apple ID account page and click Edit in the Account section. Hover over the question mark icon  next to the desired email. If you see a message that says, "This is an alias of your Apple ID email address," that email should be eligible.

If your Apple ID is a phone number

If you created your Apple ID with your phone number as your username on iOS 11 or later, see how to change to a different mobile phone number.

How to change your Apple ID if it ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com

If you use an @icloud.com, @mac.com, or @me.com email address as your Apple ID, you can’t change it to a third party email address. But, you can change it to an alias of your Apple ID address. For example, if j.appleseed@icloud.com is your Apple ID and you also have j.appleseed@me.com on file in your account, you can change your Apple ID to j.appleseed@me.com. When you change your email address, the Apple ID that people see when they share with you also changes.

To find an eligible email address that you can use as your Apple ID login, sign in to your Apple ID account page and click Edit under the Account section. You see Reachable At and a login alias with a question mark icon . If you hover over the icon, you see a message that says, "This is an alias of your Apple ID email address."

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 10.3 or later

1. Go to Settings, tap [your name], then choose Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
  2. Next to Reachable At, tap Edit, then delete your current Apple ID.
  3. Tap Continue. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use.
  4. Tap Next.

On your Apple ID account page

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in.
  2. In the Account section, click Edit.
  3. Under your Apple ID, click Change Apple ID. If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later.
  4. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use.
  5. Click Continue.

If you enter an email address that's already an alias or alternate Apple ID, and it ends with with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you see a message to confirm. When you change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com account, you can't change it back to a third-party email account. Your former Apple ID that ends with a third-party email becomes an additional email address for your Apple ID account.

Verify your new email

If you change your Apple ID to another third-party email address, you need to verify your account.**

After you enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that address. Enter the verification code from the email into the fields provided and start using your updated Apple ID. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email.

**You can change your Apple ID to another third-party email address if your current Apple ID is a third-party email address. You can also change your Apple ID to a login alias that already exists.

Sign back in

Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

After you change your Apple ID, you need to use your new sign-in information with all Apple services that you use.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password ...

how to change Apple ID and email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.