You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard repeating parts of words or whole words

Since the 10.15.1 Catalina update, my mid-2015, 15-inch Retina MBP is repeating parts of or entire words while typing. This isn't sticky keys, it appears to be a software glitch. It is in all programs so far, and happens during text entry and using keyboard shortcuts to do things like switch tabs in a browser. Help! This is making typing almost unbearable!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 9:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 10:54 PM

@keisis44 and @tyler24668, by any chance do you have Wacom tablet drivers installed? My daughter's Mac has been having the same problem since installing Catalina. She found other people on apple.stackexchange.com saying the Wacom drivers seem to be causing the issue. She's going to try installing the latest drivers.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2019 10:54 PM in response to keisis44

@keisis44 and @tyler24668, by any chance do you have Wacom tablet drivers installed? My daughter's Mac has been having the same problem since installing Catalina. She found other people on apple.stackexchange.com saying the Wacom drivers seem to be causing the issue. She's going to try installing the latest drivers.

Nov 24, 2019 1:41 PM in response to keisis44

Hello keisis44,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are having an issue with your MacBook Pro repeating letters or entire words when typing. The issue occurs in multiple apps. I understand that you are certain that it isn't sticky keys, may I ask how you eliminated sticky keys as a cause?

The first suggestion I have is to check the keyboard preferences. To to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard. Move the "Delay until repeat" slider to the right. Check the typing in the test box.

If the issue continues even with this option to the longer times, there are a couple of other tests to try.

The first will be testing the issue in a new user. Take a look at this article for how to create a new user and testing the issue there:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues in the new user, restart the computer in Safe mode and test again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

After these tests, get back with us and we can see where we need to go for a resolution.

Best regards.

Nov 25, 2019 1:49 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina —

Thank you for your response. It is definitely not sticky keys, as random parts of the word, even previous parts of the word, will repeat itself in the middle of typing. For example, if I was typing the word "spaceship", it might come out spacepacship, with the "pac" repeating itself during typing. Very odd.

It appears that the issue is resolved when I created a new user and tried typing for a minute or two. It also tends to be better upon an immediate restart, but gets worse the longer the computer is in use.

Should I try repairing permissions? This is obviously some kind of software glitch.

Thanks!

-E

Jan 20, 2020 3:43 AM in response to keisis44

Finally!!! Someone else with the same issue as me! This has been driving me mad.

Im on a mid 2014 Macbook Pro, just had the battery replaced before xmas, and ever since its been doing this exact same thing.

Mine also does seem to be fine after a restart, but gets progressively worse. Im a designer working in Adobe, and it does the same thing with any key press, like copying and pasting something it will do it twice.

Been onto Apple support this morning for an hour, and done hardware tests which no errors, and created a new user. I am currently waiting for my Macbook to recreate the issue today after the restart, then I will switch to the new user to test.

I also had Wacom drivers installed, which I have now completely removed. I will report back in the next few hours.

Keyboard repeating parts of words or whole words

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.