You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why the total space of a folder is not the same as the summarise of the size of the subfolders?

The storage of my MacBook Pro is almost full. When I check the storage status almost all the space is occupied by "Others".

When I check on finder, my user folder has a size of 456 GB and the sum of all subfolders are about 23 GB. What is occupying the rest of the space ? Are there hidden folders I can't see?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 4:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 6:59 AM

There are at least two hidden folders; the Library and .Trash. Open the Finder's Go menu, press Option, and choose Library; the Library can also be shown by choosing Home, selecting Show View Options from the View menu, and checking the box for it.

(176453)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2019 6:59 AM in response to montse177

There are at least two hidden folders; the Library and .Trash. Open the Finder's Go menu, press Option, and choose Library; the Library can also be shown by choosing Home, selecting Show View Options from the View menu, and checking the box for it.

(176453)

Why the total space of a folder is not the same as the summarise of the size of the subfolders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.