You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I buy a new 16" macbook will Apple transfer from my old iMact to new macbook pro while I wait? Also

is there a way to easily transfer to keep both machines mirrored?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 9:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 10:00 AM

We are end users like you, so it is best to ask at the store you plan to use. Services may depend on staffing and other factors, and you will be buying at their busiest time of year.

Because a new Mac will come with macOS 10.15 "Catalina" and Catalina does not support 32-bit apps, true mirroring from an older Mac may not be possible. This is Apple's support article on migrating:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2019 10:00 AM in response to rhart6

We are end users like you, so it is best to ask at the store you plan to use. Services may depend on staffing and other factors, and you will be buying at their busiest time of year.

Because a new Mac will come with macOS 10.15 "Catalina" and Catalina does not support 32-bit apps, true mirroring from an older Mac may not be possible. This is Apple's support article on migrating:

Nov 27, 2019 10:54 AM in response to rhart6

rhart6 wrote:

My iMac is a 2017 so it looks like I can just use Migration Assistant to transfer whatever. Thank you for link.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Use DiskUtility Restore feature https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/restore-a-disk-dskutl14062/mac

Nov 27, 2019 11:01 AM in response to rhart6

If you bring your old Mac or its backup to an Apple-owned store, they generally have a supervised area where they can set you on the right track and answer questions about transferring your data from old device to new. Sometimes they can make adapters available for your one-time use, depending on store policy.

My store was staffed by a group of experts who were eager to help. After an hour or so, they rotated to other assignments and a new group came in, and were just as helpful.

Transferring an entire Mac worth of data can take all afternoon.

If I buy a new 16" macbook will Apple transfer from my old iMact to new macbook pro while I wait? Also

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.