You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Service Battery prompt

My 2013 MacBook Air is now showing a "Service Battery" prompt in Energy Saver in Preferences, what does that mean? I have noticed that the charge drains significantly faster, lately. Anybody have any input on this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 9:56 AM

It means you need to get the battery checked out at an Apple store or authorized service provider.

Its likely nothing major, but after 6 years, the battery may be unable to hold a charge normally anymore, and requires being replaced.

See here:About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Service Battery: The battery isn’t functioning normally. You can safely use your Mac when it's connected to an appropriate power adapter, but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider as soon as possible.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2019 9:56 AM in response to Tommytempo

It means you need to get the battery checked out at an Apple store or authorized service provider.

Its likely nothing major, but after 6 years, the battery may be unable to hold a charge normally anymore, and requires being replaced.

See here:About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Service Battery: The battery isn’t functioning normally. You can safely use your Mac when it's connected to an appropriate power adapter, but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider as soon as possible.

Nov 27, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Tommytempo

Any number of reasons. Most likely the battery health is below the level that Apple considers "depleted" - typically under 80%. If there's been an issue such as a sudden unplanned shutdown it might record that as a battery fault. Heck - I've had a battery with corrupted diagnostic data that was reporting negative capacity. It would switch between reporting negative capacity and normal. I finally had it replaced when it swelled.

Service Battery prompt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.