You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why recents folder isn't recent folder ?

Hi, maybe I could be the first person to explain this problem about recents files into finder.

The screenshot can maybe explain better this issue.

I worked on a two different PSD files in external drive, I saved two jpg files for each PSD. You can see the date of last edit or date of creation. Nothing is correct because i must open these file (showed on 2 of 4 jpg) and after I can se in the "Recents" folder group by last edit or creation date or last added... same result: the new files generated by other apps don't showed in this fast filter "Recents". Useless

Yosemite always work!

I send a feedback for Mojave macOS

Thanks

Davide

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 3:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:07 PM

Thank you, but this problem is determinated by the software Adobe (happen also with new video filmed by quicktime) or by a deprecated setting of macOS?

That's what I thought I said. The App has to write the metadata when the file is created. Or, Finder writes the metadata when you open the file.

I can't imagine Adobe will update their software to write the metadata as they depended on a decade old version of Java to make their apps run.

You can create your own Smart Folder that searches for create date or modified date, then sort the folder by that date, descending.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2019 6:07 PM in response to dvdandreoli

Thank you, but this problem is determinated by the software Adobe (happen also with new video filmed by quicktime) or by a deprecated setting of macOS?

That's what I thought I said. The App has to write the metadata when the file is created. Or, Finder writes the metadata when you open the file.

I can't imagine Adobe will update their software to write the metadata as they depended on a decade old version of Java to make their apps run.

You can create your own Smart Folder that searches for create date or modified date, then sort the folder by that date, descending.

Nov 27, 2019 5:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

I upload a video that show how it work (for example 1 screenshot and 1 file word are added to list), and a screen of Yosemite with same process of saving a PSD files. (tested and compared right now). So fine metadata.

Do I really have to give up? Can it fixed or reported to software developers who lose this convenience?

video

https://youtu.be/HCjvB-b1Cmo

Nov 27, 2019 4:25 PM in response to dvdandreoli

For a file to end up in the Recents Search Folder, it must have its kMDItemLastUsedDate metadata set.

Many programs do not set that metadata on creation, even some Apple programs.

If you open the file in the Finder, it is normally set.

That metadata is independent from the modification date and the creation date (or any other file system date).

Why recents folder isn't recent folder ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.