You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot Login Password

I bought this iMac desktop in 2004, and the last update I could do on it was probably around 2012? I'm not positive sure what the last OS update was for....Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion or what. That being said, I'm trying to get some old files off of it, and I haven't turned it on or logged in for several years.

I can't get past the password bar so I can't look at Disk Utility, Preferences or anything like that. I have tried turning it on while holding Command + R, and it just goes back to login password which I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 2:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 6:47 PM

If you upgraded to Snow Leopard, then you need to boot from the Snow Leopard install DVD. I believe once the DVD boots there should be a password reset option on the Tools or Utilities menu.

For later versions of macOS see if these instructions help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

What is the exact model of your iMac? You can get this information by entering your system serial number here.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2019 6:47 PM in response to Tracymay

If you upgraded to Snow Leopard, then you need to boot from the Snow Leopard install DVD. I believe once the DVD boots there should be a password reset option on the Tools or Utilities menu.

For later versions of macOS see if these instructions help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

What is the exact model of your iMac? You can get this information by entering your system serial number here.

Forgot Login Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.