You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer

I have had this problem for years. I take an ordinary file (not an application) and change the "open with" application the Get Info dialog in Finder. Now, when I double-click the file, I get the message "<File> can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

For instance, normally I have TIFF files set up to open in Photoshop, but I just changed a bunch of files to open in Preview instead. Now, when I double click on each of these files, I get the following messages.

1) Double-clicking gives this message

I then go to the Privacy settings in System Preferences, and I see this:

I click "Open Anyway" and I then get this message

This is crazy amount of security for an operation that is inherently secure. For instance, if I just were to drag the icon for the TIFF file onto the Preview app, Preview would launch and open the file without hesitation. So all this "security" is accomplishing exactly nothing.

How can Apple make a mistake like this?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 4:34 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 30, 2019 9:27 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman

Thanks for the pointers. Here is what I can report.

On my computer and my user configuration .tif and .tiff files are set to open with Photoshop and .jpg files are set to open with Preview.

• If I set a .tif or .tiff file to open with Preview (using Finder Get Info panel), then I get the "can't be opened" warning when I double-click on the file.
  • (I am not going to System Preferences to allow the files to open while doing this testing.)
  • If I set a .jpg file to open with Photoshop, I get the same warning.
  • Sometimes the file will open once in the indicated application after changing the default app, but after that I always get the warning. I think this might be a timing issue, as it might take time for the default app setting to propagate to all parts of the OS.
  • I get the same behavior with files on my internal drive (FileVault) and my external drives (SoftRAID RAID-5 with no encryption)
  • If I create a new user, then for that new user, Preview is the default app for .jpg & .tif files, because this is how a new user is configured.
    • If as user 1, I set the default app for a .jpg file to Photoshop, and then copy the file to /Users/Shared, and then as user 2 copy the file from /Users/Shared to ~/Desktop, the setting for the default app is preserved, and I get the same "can't be opened" dialog if I double click on the file as user 2.
    • If as user 2 I change the default app for this .jpg file back to Preview, I can open the file by double-clicking
    • If as user 1 I copy a .tif to /Users/Shared, and then as user 2 copy the file from /Users/Shared to ~/Desktop, the file comes over with Photoshop as the default app to open it. (This is because all .tif's for user 1 should open with Photoshop, and when copied to user 2, the file is set so that this file (but not all .tif's) has Photoshop as its default app. In other words, when I copy a .tif from user 1 to user 2, it comes in with the same settings as the .jpg mentioned above: the default app for the file type is Preview, but the default app for this file is Photoshop.
    • And when I double click on this .tif, I get the same behavior as above--the OS tries to open it in Photoshop, and then gives me the "can't be opened" dialog.
    • If I set the default app for this .tif back to Preview, then it will open normally (because for user 2, Preview is default app for all .tif's).
  • If I (as user 1) set the default app for a .tif file to Preview, but then right click on the file and open the file in Photoshop, then I get warning that otherwise is shown by System Preferences::Security & Privacy::General when I try to override the "can't open" warning. But in this case the warning is shown when I first try to open the file, not when I go to System Preferences to override the warning.
  • The source of the file does not matter. I have seen this for files sent by Dropbox, files downloaded as part of a .zip from Google Drive via Firefox, and for files that were created in Photoshop.
  • Unless I am mistaken, the only apps that have deep control of my computer are SoftRAID, Little Snitch, and Dropbox, but I'll post the EtreCheck in the subsequent reply. No VPN clients, no cleaner apps.
  • I have seen this for other file-type + default app combinations. For instance, on my computer .rtf files are set to open with NisusWriter. If I set a particular .rtf to open with LibreOffice, I get the same warnings, and have to override at System Preferences::Security & Privacy::General.

Reminder, I am still using Mojave. But I have seen this problem with earlier iterations of MacOS, on earlier computers. On 2019-08-24 I erased my internal disk, installed a clean copy of Mojave, and restored from a Time Machine backup. (I had files in the trash that couldn't be deleted, and I just wanted to be sure that any "cruft" from earlier installs was hopefully removed).

I'm putting EtreCheck output here.

TIA for any help you can give.

Nov 30, 2019 7:31 AM in response to alanterra

Does this happen with any and all files, with any TIF files, or “just” with TIF files involving Google Drive, or TIF files involving Firefox downloads?

Current Firefox? Does Safari and/or iCloud file downloads show this same behavior?

What patterns in behavior exist here, if any?

Any add-on anti-malware, or add-on anti-virus, or add-on cleaner apps, or add-on VPN clients here?

Please download and run and post the output report of EtreCheck here. Open a new reply here, then press the button in the reply window that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here.

file can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.