You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Square corners with star icon in upper right corner of photo in photos

I just noticed an icon on the upper right corner of some of my photos that looks like a square defined by the four corners with a star in the upper right corner of that square. Does anyone know what this stands for? Also, some of them have the word “Auto” next to the square. When I tap the Auto, the photo zooms in a little. If I tap it again, it zooms back out.

I took these photos with my iPhone 11 Pro...

This appears on the same photos whether I’m looking at them on my iPad or iPhone. Haven’t looked on my MacBook Pro yet...

Very curious! Any ideas?

Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 9:25 AM

Okay! I found the answer after doing some more searching!

It indicates that there is content that was captured outside the frame. Use this link to find more info:

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/capture-content-outside-the-camera-frame-iph8692d3298/13.0/ios/13.0

Cheers!

2 replies

Dec 3, 2019 10:48 AM in response to Gar Benedick

Thank you for posting this solution. Apple should explain the badge overlay in the iPhone user guide. There is nowhere a picture of this badge in the iPhone documentation. It is a useful feature of the iPhone 11 Pro, but poorly documented. I bet, this badge with the star has puzzled many users.

I like the content outside the frame. It is perfect, if we accidentally cut off the feet of a person or the tip of a tower. I could rescue the picture below, where a part of the flag is missing. It also helps. if we have to straighten the picture.

Square corners with star icon in upper right corner of photo in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.