You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All videos on iPhone not showing on import in FCPX, is 4K not supported?

I have begun using iPhone for a lot of productions but the transfer to Mac has been extremely hard since day 1. I have iCloud storage, so I'm sure it is because of that, but how do i solve the issue? Below is a list of ways I've tried to import.

1. Going to iCloud.com and downloading the footage.
  • The problem was it doesn't download in the original quality. Someone said there was a button to download in original but I never found it.

TWO. Using Photos aplication to import

• I have tried to look up tutorials and guides how to use photos and it is nearly impossible to use and even import. Everytime I import I never understand where it imports to.

Three. AirDrop

• This has been the option I use the most. The problem is, it takes too long to redownload from iCloud and then it takes a long time to AirDrop. '

FOUR. Using FCPX Import

• While attempting to import with FCPX, only certain videos showed up, not all videos that were on my iphone showed and I have about 11,000 photos and videos. There was no option to load more. So only part of the clips were imported not all.

What is the best or fastest way to import to FCPX? Also does FCPX support iPhone 4k? Because my FCPX acts ridiculous when playing back footage in 4K.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 11:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 12:04 PM

The best way to get iPhone video into FCP is to connect the phone to the computer and use the import window Cmd-I. The media not showing up is most likely because of the use of iCloud Photo Library. I would strongly recommend you to disable it and store your media locally, backed up on secondary drive.

What computer do you have, what version of the software, and what OS?

4K media is large and requires a lot of processing power to handle well, especially if the project becomes complex. If your computer cannot handle the media well I'd suggest creating proxy files and use those to edit. Try importing the files from the

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2019 12:04 PM in response to WillJenk

The best way to get iPhone video into FCP is to connect the phone to the computer and use the import window Cmd-I. The media not showing up is most likely because of the use of iCloud Photo Library. I would strongly recommend you to disable it and store your media locally, backed up on secondary drive.

What computer do you have, what version of the software, and what OS?

4K media is large and requires a lot of processing power to handle well, especially if the project becomes complex. If your computer cannot handle the media well I'd suggest creating proxy files and use those to edit. Try importing the files from the

Dec 3, 2019 12:12 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for a response!

If I disable it how will all 11,000-12,000 photos fit on my iPhone? I did try the FCPX option and imported as Proxy media but it still messes up when a panning shot is happening or it will sometimes stop and continue.

I am running Mac OS High Sierra, I don't want to upgrade cause they got rid of Animated Cover Flow for files and that helps me work fast. But if that is the issue I guess I'll upgrade, I really don't like Catalina though.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Dec 3, 2019 12:53 PM in response to WillJenk

"If I disable it how will all 11,000-12,000 photos fit on my iPhone?"

Depends on the phone and how big the drive is. What many people do is use Photos on their computer for storage, backed up on another drive. You offload the images to Photos and just sync to the phone the images who want to keep on the phone.

What spec 4K are you using? HEVC will make smaller files, but doesn't work on that OS. 24fps media will often skip when panning. It's the nature of the frame rate, and why you rarely see pans in movies, unless it's a Coen brothers picture.

Dec 4, 2019 12:19 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I recorded in HEVC unfortunately. It is working somewhat better but just not as well (4k on FCPX). I've decided to cut time short to use the iCloud Photos online. I found another forum that said there is a hidden button but the trick is you have to hover over the download button and there is an arrow that allows you to select which version of the file to download. Its a hidden button within a button. I appreciate your help greatly and that pan advice is something I will consider in future productions. Much appreciated!

All videos on iPhone not showing on import in FCPX, is 4K not supported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.