You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't preview my photos after placing them in a folder on my desktop

Hello,

I recently formatted my SD card on my sony a7 to delete all of the pictures so that I could reuse the card. When I insert my SD card the files appear as normal and I can import them as I usually do. I'm a photographer, so I have to organize my files a certain way on my desktop in order to keep track of my client's photos. I do this by dragging the photos from my photo library and placing them into a new folder on my desktop. Although as of late the files that I drag will not load and when I try to preview them it gives me this message:

I can place the folder into lightroom just fine, I just can't preview them. If anyone has any insight on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hannah

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 8:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 4:39 AM

Hannah, can you preview the photos on your Desktop, if you select them in Photos, then use "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" to save the original image files in a folder? This test will tell you, if he originals in your Photos Library are readable at all.

When you drag the photos from Photos, they will be saved as a preview of the edited version, possibly with a poor quality.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2019 4:39 AM in response to hannahsierra

Hannah, can you preview the photos on your Desktop, if you select them in Photos, then use "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" to save the original image files in a folder? This test will tell you, if he originals in your Photos Library are readable at all.

When you drag the photos from Photos, they will be saved as a preview of the edited version, possibly with a poor quality.

Dec 5, 2019 11:02 AM in response to hannahsierra

hannahsierra wrote:

leonie,

That worked! Does this mean I must do that from now on? Why doesn’t dragging the photos from import work anymore, do you know?
Thanks!!

You have been lucky, that the dragging has been working before. You cannot control the quality of the previews, when you just drag and drop.

Only if you use the Export dialog are you in control over the quality of the photos you save.

I can't preview my photos after placing them in a folder on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.