You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Excel worksheets will not open

Hello I am running an iMac retina 4K, 21.5inch, 2017 with a 3.4Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i5. I have 8GB of memory. I am running macOS Catalina, 10.15..

I have loaded Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac on my computer and have been using Excel and Word successfully for quite some time. Since I upgraded to Catalina I have noticed that existing worksheets of Excel and Word documents often will not open. If I restart the computer the problem is corrected.

Is this a known issue? Will upgrading to a more recent version of Office correct my issue?

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 1:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 1:18 PM

Office 2011 is not compatible with macOS Catalina at all.

It is a 32 bit application. Catalina does not support 32 bit applications.

For that matter, Microsoft does not support Office 2011 at all any more. They have not done so for quite some time.

You can upgrade to Office 2019 or Office 365 for compatibility with Catalina.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2019 1:18 PM in response to acarrejo

Office 2011 is not compatible with macOS Catalina at all.

It is a 32 bit application. Catalina does not support 32 bit applications.

For that matter, Microsoft does not support Office 2011 at all any more. They have not done so for quite some time.

You can upgrade to Office 2019 or Office 365 for compatibility with Catalina.

Microsoft Excel worksheets will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.