You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Album "Album is not 'Any'" not updating correctly

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Photos for Mac.

While trying to sort through my uncategorised photos, I created a Smart Album to find all photos not in any album. This seemed to work correctly, but then I accidentally added all the photos to a new album I created. Obviously this meant no photos appeared in my smart album.

The problem arose when I decided to delete the newly created album. I assumed this would once again mark these photos as having no album as they had been 'released' from this album, but they are still not showing up in my Smart Album.

I tried deleting and redownloading my photo library from iCloud, but it doesn't seem to help. Looks like the album is still assigned the photo in the metadata maybe. Anyone know if this is a bug and how to correct this?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.1

Thanks,

Robbie

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 8:50 AM

That is a new, recent bug in Photos 5.0, see: Problems with the Smart Album "Album is not Any"- Apple Community

We have to be sure to remove all photos from an album, before we delete an album. Or Photos will still see the photos as being in an album.

We would have to duplicate all photos, that are listed as being in an album and then delete the original to fix this. This would be a lot of work.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2019 8:50 AM in response to robbiedeane

That is a new, recent bug in Photos 5.0, see: Problems with the Smart Album "Album is not Any"- Apple Community

We have to be sure to remove all photos from an album, before we delete an album. Or Photos will still see the photos as being in an album.

We would have to duplicate all photos, that are listed as being in an album and then delete the original to fix this. This would be a lot of work.

Smart Album "Album is not 'Any'" not updating correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.