You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2009) is running 10.10.5, Trying to upgrade to 10.11 El Capitan.

The program I use frequently now says I must have 10.13 to operate correctly. I have read an old post that says by loading 10.11 and working up, I can end up with 10.13, When I try to download 10.11.1, it says I must first download El Capitan 10.11.0. Running the 10.11, installer goes through the steps and says it is downloading the complete pkg. After a few minutes, I then get the message that the download is complete. When I run a system report, it says I am still running 10.10.5. Suggestions welcome.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 9:39 PM

The steps are, Section 4, Download OS X El Capitan, you should have InstallMacOSX.dmg.

Double-click on InstallMacOSX.dmg and you will get the InstallMacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on the InstallMacOSX.pkg and an installation window will open.

Follow the prompts (this does not install El Capitan) it will convert InstallMacOSX.pkg

to Install OS X El Capitan.app which will appear in your Applications folder.

Use the Install OS El Capitan.app to install Mac OS X El Capitan or

prior to installing you can make a bootable USB installer using the createinstallmedia command in Terminal,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support.

See below for screenshots of the procedure and what you should see.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2019 9:39 PM in response to Charger9199

The steps are, Section 4, Download OS X El Capitan, you should have InstallMacOSX.dmg.

Double-click on InstallMacOSX.dmg and you will get the InstallMacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on the InstallMacOSX.pkg and an installation window will open.

Follow the prompts (this does not install El Capitan) it will convert InstallMacOSX.pkg

to Install OS X El Capitan.app which will appear in your Applications folder.

Use the Install OS El Capitan.app to install Mac OS X El Capitan or

prior to installing you can make a bootable USB installer using the createinstallmedia command in Terminal,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support.

See below for screenshots of the procedure and what you should see.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2009) is running 10.10.5, Trying to upgrade to 10.11 El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.