You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth issues

Hello,

Ever since updating to MacOS Catalina, I've had bluetooth audio issues. I updated to Catalina on it's public release date (10/07/19) and have had this issue since day one. My issue is that my mac will disconnect my bluetooth devices at random (usually within 5-30 minutes). And if I reconnect my device, it will disconnect in a much shorter amount of time. If I do this more than 3-5 times, I won't be able to reconnect my bluetooth device. The only fix I have to this is to delete the various bluetooth plist files in Finder, and to reset the bluetooth module. I've done basically everything I could think of including resetting the PRAM and utilizing all of the options in the mac bluetooth debug section and nothing changes anything in the long term. This issue has become very annoying and time consuming for me and I can't seem to find any solution.

The only error messages associated with this occur in system preferences->bluetooth where it states "connection failure" after disconnecting and If I am streaming music from iTunes it says something along the lines of "the selected bluetooth device is in use somewhere else". This issue is not specific to iTunes.

This issue has occurred for me in the exact same way for three separate bluetooth devices (including Apple AirPods). All three devices do not pose issues on my iPhone.

If you have any suggestions please let me know,

Thanks

MacBook Air 13", 10.15

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 6:51 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 10, 2019 12:10 PM in response to NMitchem

Hi NMitchem,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with Bluetooth on your Mac. I’m happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re running the latest version of macOS Catalina:

How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support

Then, I suggest testing in safe mode and a different user account to see if the issue persists:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Lastly, you may want to run Apple Diagnostics to see if any issues are present:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Bluetooth issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.