You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pages: How to insert a layout break?

Folks here are telling me to insert a layout break if I need a section break without a page break...but I can't find any such command.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 12:22 AM

Hi bobpark,

Select the paragraphs that you want as two-column.

Format Panel > Layout > Columns

Change the columns to 2

Numbers automatically inserts the column breaks

Insert returns to force spacing

Regards,

Ian.

9 replies

Dec 9, 2019 3:57 PM in response to bobpark

Pages was never developed to be a clone, or even a remote competitor of MS Word. The feature gap is enormous.

Let's say you have inserted a paragraph of text into Pages v8.2.1. You want to follow that with two-column layout, but as you have discovered, the column break also advances to the next page. When it does that, add the content right there that goes into your two-column layout, select all of it, and set the Layout panel to two columns. Now place your cursor at the beginning of that two-column content and backspace. The two-column layout will retreat to the previous page, and now appears just below your first paragraph. At the end of your current two column content, Insert Column break right inside the second column. Off you go to a new page again.

On the next page, where you want to resume in single column mode, first paste that content there. It too will take on a column format. Select this new text, and then revisit the layout tab, and set the column count back to 1. The content on the new page will now return to normal paragraph content, and you can place the cursor at the beginning of this text, and back space to place it immediately under your two-column content — if it will fit on the page.

The end result appears thus:

I have forced a return to open gaps between layout locations. You could do the same thing in Layout mode with three text boxes.

When you export the above Pages document layout to Word .docx from Pages v8.2.1, it will lose the layout shown above, and just become all paragraphs. This document translation process during export to Word .docx does not guarantee that a Pages document layout will faithfully be represented in Word. Alternatively with Word v16.30 or later supporting the opening of PDF and conversion of that PDF to Word .docx, it might be practical to export complex Pages document layouts as PDF, and see how Word 16.30 handles that conversion.

Dec 9, 2019 3:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

You have addressed the problem, but not provided a solution.

So how does one introduce a new section without having it also introduce a page break?

What I want to do is switch between 1-and 2-column layouts without it forcing a page break.

As it stands now, I'm finding this a frustrating weakness in Apple's Pages software.

I had no such problems with Microsoft Word.

Dec 11, 2019 5:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

Viking OSX...Thank you for that thorough explanation. I will give your suggestion a try as soon as I get back to addressing the problem I was having.

It does seem like lot of work, though, compared to providing a simple command that creates a new section without creating a page break. Kinda makes me wonder what the Apple folks were drinking when programming that part of the pages app. When I was building professional apps back in 1970s and 1980s, I would have considered it gross negligence to omit such an obvious feature.

Dec 11, 2019 11:10 PM in response to bobpark

bobpark writes:

"When I was building professional apps…"

Not an apt comparison. Pages is not a "professional app."

That said, I agree that layout breaks are a useful feature, and considering that feature was available in the version of Pages introduced more than 10 years ago, it should be worthy of consideration now.

But this is not the theatre in which to discuss 'should' items.

If you are serious about requesting this feature, go to the Pages menu, choose Provide Pages Feedback, and send a feature enhancement request. It is unlikely that you will get a direct reply, but it is possible the requested feature will (re)appear in a future version.

Regards,

Barry

Apple Pages: How to insert a layout break?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.