You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messaging

I have an iPad 6, without cellular, and use an Android (Samsung) phone. My wife uses an iPhone 11. When she sends an SMS to me at my phone number (Verizon), it goes to my iPad instead of my Android phone. Is there a way to prevent my iPad from receiving these messages? Must something be done on the iPhone 11? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 11:38 AM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2019 1:04 PM in response to J1-Helena

Let’s inspect this sentence carefully.

J1-Helena wrote:

When she sends an SMS to me at my phone number (Verizon), it goes to my iPad instead of my Android phone.

Several questions come up.

• Has this phone number always been associated with non-Apple products? Might it have been associated with an iPhone in the past and not de-registered from iMessage? If so: Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online - Apple Support
  • Are you certain she is sending the message to your telephone number (and not your Apple ID)? She is offered that choice if she selects your contact card to use as the message recipient.

Dec 9, 2019 3:03 PM in response to J1-Helena

If you log out of iMessage on the iPad, and it successfully deactivates, then your wife would need to delete any text conversations that she has had with you. After that, and it can take about 24 hours to deactivate iMessage, the two of you should have no issues with sending SMS back and forth with the phones. She just needs to be sure she has an SMS/MMS plan active on her account.

Dec 9, 2019 2:10 PM in response to J1-Helena

I've read about this in the past. The problem seems to arise when using cross platform products. You receive SMS on the Android phone, but are now receiving iMessage on the iPad. Once an iMessage has been sent/received with the iPad, it seems it will associate the phone number and email both with iMessage, therefore creating an issue with your wife sending you a text. To be honest, I've not seen a resolution posted about that. I recommended to one person to try deregistering their phone number with iMessage, but I've not received a response if it works. Unfortunately, if you disable iMessage on the iPad, you will not be able to text your wife, since you cannot use the Android phone to forward to the iPad, like you can with an iPhone.

You may have to run this by Apple Engineers to see if there is a resolution. I see this being something difficult to resolve.

Dec 9, 2019 2:41 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks. To be clear, my wife, sends SMSes from her iPhone, not from her iPad, but I think your reply assumed that. I don't need the Messages app on my iPad. What will happen if I disable Messages on my iPad? Will I simply fail to receive messages she sends from her iPhone, or will they roll over to my Android phone? Moreover, if I disable Messages on my iPad, will texts from my Android still go to her phone? Obviously, she wouldn't want to disable messaging on her phone.

Messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.