You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade, laptop requires two logins, two separate accounts to get in

I recently re-provisioned a Macbook Air laptop for my use. It's a custom-built machine that is only a year old. Previously, it had two user accounts on it: and Admin account and second user account that also had admin rights.

In the re-provisioning, I:

• Deleted the second user account
  • Created a new user account for me with admin rights
  • I logged into my new user account, and in the setup, selected restore/set up from Time Machine backup

This completed, everything looked great. So, while logged into my user account, I deleted the old Admin account. Everything is fine. The machine is renamed under my name, etc.

The first time I rebooted my machine following an install, the log in popped up, and it was as the old Admin account. I thought "Oh, did I not delete it?" Then after a few seconds, my user login popped up. I logged in, FireVault ran its scan and I am back in my familiar desktop. I checked the Users & Groups in Syst Pref and there is no "Admin" user but I have to login as Admin on a reboot before I get to my login, nonetheless. I can live with this, but if someone understands what happened here, and how I could resolve, would be much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 2:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 2:53 PM

Sounds like the problem is FileVault & you need to turn it off, then if it ever completes that turn FileVault on in the new Account.

Similar questions

3 replies

After upgrade, laptop requires two logins, two separate accounts to get in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.