You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition won't mount

I pulled the usb power port from my time machine backup disk without ejecting it first, and since then my 2nd partition won't mount in 10.11. It did show in 10.15 after I did a time machine restore, but when I restarted in 10.11 it is gone, though it shows in Disk Utility. I have 10.11 on the first partition and 10.15 on the second.

I saw a post yesterday that referred to some Unix commands that fixed the problem, but I can't find it this morning. In diskutil list it shows as the following:

4: 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC               249.1 GB   disk0s4

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mike

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 7:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:39 AM

Eau Rouge posted the solution to this problem to a question I responded to on the Catalina Community site. There is also some discussion re which apps will work on Catalina.

"El Capitan and older Mac OS's cannot see drives formatted as APFS, so they do not appear on the Desktop.

To reboot to your Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra formatted APFS drives restart your Mac and press and hold

down the option/ alt key until the Startup Manager screen appears. Select your Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra

disk/ partition and press Return."

Thank you Eau! Now I have the best of both worlds, may old software happily running along in El Capitan, and a separate partition where I can keep up with the new OS systems.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2019 9:39 AM in response to surfins

Eau Rouge posted the solution to this problem to a question I responded to on the Catalina Community site. There is also some discussion re which apps will work on Catalina.

"El Capitan and older Mac OS's cannot see drives formatted as APFS, so they do not appear on the Desktop.

To reboot to your Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra formatted APFS drives restart your Mac and press and hold

down the option/ alt key until the Startup Manager screen appears. Select your Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra

disk/ partition and press Return."

Thank you Eau! Now I have the best of both worlds, may old software happily running along in El Capitan, and a separate partition where I can keep up with the new OS systems.

Partition won't mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.