You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Noticeable lags when switch between desktops as well as browser tabs

Like the title says, the lag is noticeable, like 1~2 secs. For example:

• Right after I close the System Preference pane and switch to another desktop using 4 fingers, it lags, the whole GUI stalls for 1-2 secs then starts switching.
  • When I click another browser tabs (Chrome), it stalls for 1~2 secs.

There's no heavy load on the computer, just simple browsing without Flash, or dynamic pages.

Also it happens quite frequent I'd say, probably everyday.

Very disappointing. Would like to know what the problem is and how to solve it. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:35 PM

8 replies

Dec 13, 2019 6:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Just want to give you an update: so the freezes still exist after I completely removed the Avast, it happens when:

• When I type, like right now, it freeze constantly like every sentence, it freeze 1 or 2 times, each time like 0.5 ~ 1 sec. I'd say extremely frequently.
  • When I scroll up & down web pages, it freezes constantly, 0.5 ~ 1 sec each time it freezes.

Do you know what is going on? I attached the report.

Dec 13, 2019 7:15 AM in response to ohuohuo

You have brand new hardware and a relatively new OS. This increases the probability of third party software conflicts. I would uninstall Avast (apparently not running, but still there) and, especially, all the paragon stuff. Then test. If that doesn't help, try uninstalling cisco vpn stuff. Usually the cisco stuff works ok, but maybe it is not compatible with the newest hardware/OS.

Dec 12, 2019 4:45 PM in response to ohuohuo

ohuohuo wrote:

Thank you! but how do you protect your mac system?

Your Mac has built in protection. https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Apple uses its Software Update service (which also drives the system software updates that show in the App Store) as a mechanism for installing “background and critical” updates that are installed silently in the background with no notifications to the user.

The macOS uses these to combat malware:

Gatekeeper mechanism, central to security services, which tries to ensure that any code loaded is ‘safe’. Code signatures are only part of this.

XProtect checks the security and integrity of files, including in broader ways too, vulnerable document types, such as JPEG images, are also screened to ensure that they’re not malicious.

Apple’s Malware Removal Tool (MRT) an app which often complements XProtect’s signature-based screening, and can automatically remove all traces of many different species of malware.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) which ensures that nothing can tamper with key system files, or even Apple’s bundled apps.

The new Catalina also continues to make improvements:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

You can ref John Galt: Effective defenses against malware and other threats

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

recent—

https://i.blackhat.com/USA-19/Thursday/us-19-Krstic-Behind-The-Scenes-Of-IOS-And-Mas-Security.pdf

Dec 12, 2019 1:46 PM in response to ohuohuo

ohuohuo wrote:

• Like the title says, the lag is noticeable, like 1~2 secs. For example:
Right after I close the System Preference pane and switch to another desktop using 4 fingers, it lags, the whole GUI stalls for 1-2 secs then starts switching.
• When I click another browser tabs (Chrome), it stalls for 1~2 secs.

There's no heavy load on the computer, just simple browsing without Flash, or dynamic pages.
Also it happens quite frequent I'd say, probably everyday.

Very disappointing. Would like to know what the problem is and how to solve it. Thanks in advance.

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this utility http://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.

Dec 12, 2019 4:35 PM in response to ohuohuo

Avast

Uninstall the Avast AV using their official uninstaller.

This is known to cause nothing but issue with no upside.

Not sure what this is <Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 1 (Cisco)>

as aside note, I had to scroll a mile to get to one end of your report to the other—typically etrecheck makes it much more readable then this.

Uninstall the AV, test your machine, run another etrecheck w/ Full Disk Access and follow the how to share the report. Re-post here if necessary.

Noticeable lags when switch between desktops as well as browser tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.