You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Does not want to completely start

MacBook Air Does not want to completely start. When I push the power button the Apple comes on and the line under it starts moving across left to right but does not ever get to the end, it goes about 7/8 of the way then it hesitates there for a while Then the computer shuts off and the Apple goes away. A few seconds later the apple comes back on and does the same thing. So it keeps shutting down and trying to start. And I don’t know the fix for that.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 2:03 PM

Robertjuc wrote:
No I don’t need to recover anything out of there. I was actually transferring data from my iMac onto this MacBook when this occurred. The MacBook is new.

In that case all new Macs can operate MacOS Recovery - either via a built-in recovery partition or loaded via the Internet.

You'll probably want to reformat (i.e. Erase) the volume using Disk Utility (in MacOS Recovery) and then install MacOS from scratch. It will be equivalent to a new machine out of the box. Instructions are here, although you'll need to reformat the volume (or perhaps the entire SSD) using Disk Utility.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2019 2:03 PM in response to Robertjuc

Robertjuc wrote:
No I don’t need to recover anything out of there. I was actually transferring data from my iMac onto this MacBook when this occurred. The MacBook is new.

In that case all new Macs can operate MacOS Recovery - either via a built-in recovery partition or loaded via the Internet.

You'll probably want to reformat (i.e. Erase) the volume using Disk Utility (in MacOS Recovery) and then install MacOS from scratch. It will be equivalent to a new machine out of the box. Instructions are here, although you'll need to reformat the volume (or perhaps the entire SSD) using Disk Utility.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

MacBook Air Does not want to completely start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.