You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My firmware password is locked my MacBook was purchased in 2011 I have proof of purchase and haven’t been able to use it since 2016, my children’s photos are on it and I would love to be able to recover them. Can anyone help me,

I’ve locked my MacBook Pro, it was purchased in 2011, I believe it is the firmware password, I haven’t used the laptop since 2016 as I haven’t been able to get into it, I’ve tried of recent, is there any way I can do this without having the data erased, there are photos of my children on it that I would love to be able to get back. Any help would be greatly appreciated, when I try reset using my Apple ID I get the attached

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 2:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 7:23 PM

The EFI Firmware password screen will just show a padlock with a field to enter the password. What you show is the login password for macOS. See if you can reset the password using the instructions in this Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Is the laptop using Filevault? If so, then without knowing the password, or the recovery key, or being able to reset the password, then you will be unable to access the files.

If the laptop is not using Filevault or you can unlock the Filevault, then you can put the laptop into Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac to access the files.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2019 7:23 PM in response to Alireilly

The EFI Firmware password screen will just show a padlock with a field to enter the password. What you show is the login password for macOS. See if you can reset the password using the instructions in this Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Is the laptop using Filevault? If so, then without knowing the password, or the recovery key, or being able to reset the password, then you will be unable to access the files.

If the laptop is not using Filevault or you can unlock the Filevault, then you can put the laptop into Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac to access the files.

My firmware password is locked my MacBook was purchased in 2011 I have proof of purchase and haven’t been able to use it since 2016, my children’s photos are on it and I would love to be able to recover them. Can anyone help me,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.