You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Russian phonetic keyboard

Russian phonetic keyboard on my new iPad Gen 7 uses cyrillic letters instead of latin ones. This doesn't make any sense - if I wanted to type in Russian right away without conversion, why would I need to use phonetic keyboard? Is there any way to bring it back to the Latin alphabet?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 6:52 AM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2019 7:11 AM in response to ddcoder

Apple's Russian keyboard layouts have never used Latin letters. "Russian Phonetic" means that the Cyrillic characters are arranged according to the asdf etc. system (асдф) instead of the Russian system (фыва).

I think what you are asking for is usually called a "Transliteration" layout. You might be able to find one in the App Store. Check out the Keyman app.

Or you can ask Apple to add one of these via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 15, 2019 7:54 AM in response to ddcoder

ddcoder wrote:

It is still in Latin on my iPhone

Could you post a screen shot of that? On my iPhone it is Cyrillic, but I am running the latest, iOS 13, and I can't check iOS 12 or earlier.

On MacOS, which normally uses the same keyboards as iOS, it is Cyrillic:

I would agree it really should probably be called Russian - Qwerty instead of Phonetic.

Russian phonetic keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.