You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live Photo’s in message thread

Hi!

I'm curious if my phone has an issue or if this is even possible.

So while viewing all photos in a message thread it’s not allowing them to play as Live Photo’s. The function just doesn’t work.

I’m Not talking about when i receive one in a normal message. I’m referring to when you click the “i” and then view all photos.

If anyone knows if it’s possible to view them as Live Photo’s in the view all option please let me know

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 1:27 PM

Hey again Laurenmel,

Thanks for letting us know about the scope of the issue. Let's verify that your iPhone is fully updated. If you aren't sure about that, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and it'll let you know if an update is available. I always recommend creating a backup either on your computer or through iCloud prior to updating or upgrading, and you can learn how to do both of those steps in Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you're already updated, next I'd suggest picking a conversation from Messages and deleting it and then either sending or having someone send you a Live Photo so we can check to see if the issue occurs in a new conversation. If you don't have a conversation that you can delete, you might consider using the steps in Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to create a temporary group message with more than one contact as a test.

Cheer.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2019 1:27 PM in response to Laurenmel

Hey again Laurenmel,

Thanks for letting us know about the scope of the issue. Let's verify that your iPhone is fully updated. If you aren't sure about that, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and it'll let you know if an update is available. I always recommend creating a backup either on your computer or through iCloud prior to updating or upgrading, and you can learn how to do both of those steps in Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you're already updated, next I'd suggest picking a conversation from Messages and deleting it and then either sending or having someone send you a Live Photo so we can check to see if the issue occurs in a new conversation. If you don't have a conversation that you can delete, you might consider using the steps in Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to create a temporary group message with more than one contact as a test.

Cheer.

Dec 18, 2019 12:47 PM in response to Laurenmel

Hey Laurenmel,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities and thanks for your question. It sounds like your issue deals with viewing Live Photos from conversations in Messages. I'd be glad to run through a few things with you in an effort to get this solved.

Does this behavior happen with all Messages threads or is it specific to a single thread or a few specific threads? When attempting to view them as Live Photos, are you following the same procedure that you normally would to play them? For example, tapping on them won't activate the live portion of a Live Photo, but tapping and holding should allow them to play fully.

If you create a new Live Photo in one of these conversations using the steps in Take and edit Live Photos, does it behave the same as the Live Photos that are older from the conversation?

Best Regards,

Live Photo’s in message thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.