You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to lock out apps for preschooler iPad

I have set up an iPad Air iOS 12.4.4 for a preschooler grandchild.

I would like to prevent her from opening apps like Safari, Mail, Music, Contacts, Messages, etc. You get the idea.

I've created a Restrictions password. After doing searches it seems maybe, I can go to Screen Time > App Limits and select apps then give them a time limit of 0. This is grayed out and doesn't do anything. II also tried Screen Time > Always Allowed and gave apps a selected apps so they'd get a red minus icon. That didn't lock them either.

I thought I'd seen some images where app icons on the screen actually were grayed out and made inaccessible without a password. How do I do this?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
5 replies

Dec 17, 2019 9:30 AM in response to LotusPilot

I have tried these and they do not seem to enable me to assign zero screen time to the apps I want to block, or (optimally!) to have certain apps (as mentioned above) inaccessible/grayed out to granddaughter. Or can they even be deleted or hidden and/or removed from Dock?

Also would be nice if, when she accidentally swipes up, it doesn't bring up the array of apps to switch to.

How to lock out apps for preschooler iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.