You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to computer after moving home folder to an external drive

Greetings~

I just moved my home folder to a 1TB Crucial SSD external drive. I followed the instructions on how to move the folder and how to change the home folder in Sys Pref's. I DID NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS, just the one that I was instructed to.

When I restarted my computer, I got to the login screen and it would not let me log in. Not a bad password. Just an error message saying "there was an error at this time, please try later".

I had to log in as one of the other users, go to the preferences, change back to my original Home folder and restart the computer. I am now back running my system and Home folder from the internal SSD.

So, why can I not log in? Does the home folder partially mount from the internal HD, authorizing the user, before the computer goes out to look for peripherals? Like, can I not log in bc the drive is external?

Notes:

The External SSD is formatted using Apple format system with encryption, and I left a 100Gb partition as exFAT, so I can move pc files back and forth.

My computer is admittedly old: 2011. But runs very well. I will be replacing it before june, but I need to run a little longer on the old girl. (A testament to great Mac products!)

If I can answer any other questions about the situation, please let me know. I would like to have my home folder on my external drive and clear all the junk off my computer's internal drive.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 11:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 11:42 AM

KidBever Said:

"Can't login to computer after moving home folder to an external drive:"

-------

There is No User:

There is nothing that pertains to any user whomsoever in the macOS. So, that is why you cannot login to the computer after moving the Home folder to an external drive.

Restore from a Time Machine Backup:

Start by recovering your Mac from a Time Machine Backup, if you have created one. Go Here: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If that is of No Success, then...

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support. Choose the code for a High Sierra USB Bootable Installer. So, first reinstall it, not erasing your Hard Drive. Nothing would be rid of; it's just that all missing folders and files would be places to where they should be. If that makes no Home folder, then you would have to erase the hard drive. But, reply back before erasing it.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2019 11:42 AM in response to KidBever

KidBever Said:

"Can't login to computer after moving home folder to an external drive:"

-------

There is No User:

There is nothing that pertains to any user whomsoever in the macOS. So, that is why you cannot login to the computer after moving the Home folder to an external drive.

Restore from a Time Machine Backup:

Start by recovering your Mac from a Time Machine Backup, if you have created one. Go Here: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If that is of No Success, then...

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support. Choose the code for a High Sierra USB Bootable Installer. So, first reinstall it, not erasing your Hard Drive. Nothing would be rid of; it's just that all missing folders and files would be places to where they should be. If that makes no Home folder, then you would have to erase the hard drive. But, reply back before erasing it.

Dec 21, 2019 12:21 PM in response to KidBever

KidBever Said:

"[...]Can you NOT move a home folder if you have password protection on your account??"

-------

Don't Chance a Damaged Install:

Don't fiddle around with the Home Folder. or anything else.

So...

Just, Create a Time Machine Backup:

Then, restore from it, perhaps using migration assistant, should you need to transfer it all back in. Go Here: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

You Can Export and Migrate Data:

You could always export items, such as doing so from iTunes. Then migrate it back in from the Time Machine Backup, when need be. Go Here: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC.

Dec 21, 2019 8:17 PM in response to KidBever

KidBever Said:

"My data is not lost. I don't need to recover anything. I just want to move my home folder to an external drive. Can it be done while still allowing me to sign in normally on startup, or am I asking for something that doesn't exist??"

-------

Duplicate your Time Machine Backup:

Yes. It Can be Bone, but Manually:

Backup your Mac using Time Machine backup. Right-click on the backup and select "Duplicate"

Once created, modify the duplicate you've just made, by deleting all but the Home folder.

Then, drag-and-drop the Home folder to another external hard drive, either by connecting a second external drive, or through use of the Desktop. Be certain you leave the external hard drive you are deleting this from plugged in. Elsewise, they'd stay in the Trash until the next time you connect the hard drive.

That is how you would do it. See the below screenshots,

Screenshot 1: How to Duplicate Something (an example folder named "Home"):

---

Screenshot 2: What is Created After Selecting Duplicate: "Home copy":

Dec 21, 2019 11:51 AM in response to TheLittles

It's ok. I don't need to reinstall. I’m up and running. I just logged in as a different user and unwound the changes from there.

SO.... If I want to use an external drive to store my "Home" folder on, what HAS to stay on the computer so that I can log in when I restart? When I looked on the internet for instructions, it seemed very simple to move your Home folder.

Can you NOT move a home folder if you have password protection on your account??

Can't login to computer after moving home folder to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.