You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music 1.0.2.37 on Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57) crashing when anything new added to the library

subject line says it all. anyone else seeing this?

additional details: material can be from any source, including the store. (I am not subscribed to Music, so all tracks are purchased from iTunes Store). the Music directory with all my older media is on an external USB-connected drive, and the Library file is brand new as of a couple days ago. all Music and iTunes prefs files deleted and re-generated.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 5:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 6:47 PM

so, using the above information, I managed to narrow it down to Music being terrible at managing duplicate files, thus causing the app to become unresponsive.

here's how I narrowed that down:

1) started a new Library

2) downloaded all purchased tracks

3) began adding media from previous Library, starting with letter A

in the process of doing this, I saw that Music did not have a way to understand that it should not add the previously downloaded versions of the tracks from iTunes, and would add them as (filename) 1.m4a

if those tracks were present, then trying to add anything afterwards would make the app freeze up.

SO

what I'm going to need to do is:

1) re-download purchased tracks

2) go to previous Music Media folder, search for folders containing files ending in (space)1.m4a, then delete those folders, cross-referencing with what is being downloaded into the new library.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2019 6:47 PM in response to jeremy_v

so, using the above information, I managed to narrow it down to Music being terrible at managing duplicate files, thus causing the app to become unresponsive.

here's how I narrowed that down:

1) started a new Library

2) downloaded all purchased tracks

3) began adding media from previous Library, starting with letter A

in the process of doing this, I saw that Music did not have a way to understand that it should not add the previously downloaded versions of the tracks from iTunes, and would add them as (filename) 1.m4a

if those tracks were present, then trying to add anything afterwards would make the app freeze up.

SO

what I'm going to need to do is:

1) re-download purchased tracks

2) go to previous Music Media folder, search for folders containing files ending in (space)1.m4a, then delete those folders, cross-referencing with what is being downloaded into the new library.

Dec 29, 2019 2:05 PM in response to Peekay

Hi Peekay,

It could be an issue with the Music app then.

See if the Music app does this in another user account as a test:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

If the issue persists, try reinstalling macOS from Recovery:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Music 1.0.2.37 on Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57) crashing when anything new added to the library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.