You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file transfer on new macs

I just got a new macbook pro and started it up and it copied all the files from my other mac to the macbooks desktop so i deleted it all as i didnt wany to wast space on it and its cleared my other mac.

Am i able to get thoes files back and how do i turn it off

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:24 PM

ostridgej wrote:

I just got a new macbook pro and started it up and it copied all the files from my other mac to the macbooks desktop so i deleted it all as i didnt wany to wast space on it and its cleared my other mac.

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

About the Relocated Items folder

While creating the two separate volumes during the upgrade process, files and data that couldn’t be moved to their new location are placed in a Relocated Items folder. The Relocated Items folder is in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items) and available though a shortcut on the Desktop. The Relocated Items folder includes a PDF document with more details about these files.

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

From your Finder>Go>Go To Folder> copy and paste:

/Users/Shared/Relocated Items
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2019 2:24 PM in response to ostridgej

ostridgej wrote:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

About the Relocated Items folder

While creating the two separate volumes during the upgrade process, files and data that couldn’t be moved to their new location are placed in a Relocated Items folder. The Relocated Items folder is in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items) and available though a shortcut on the Desktop. The Relocated Items folder includes a PDF document with more details about these files.

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

From your Finder>Go>Go To Folder> copy and paste:

/Users/Shared/Relocated Items

file transfer on new macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.