You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display not working until reboot

I have a 2019 16" MacBook Pro. I'm using an external display connected via a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter. It works great until the computer goes to sleep. When it wakes back up, the external display is not working. Even if I unplug the display and plug it back in, it still won't work. If I reboot the computer then plug the display back in, it will work until it goes to sleep.

I have also tried this with a different monitor and a HDMI cable, so I think the issue is with my laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 7:29 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 3, 2020 4:34 AM in response to JoeAttardi

Similarly, this happens to me too with the same model of MBP, using the LG 5K UltraFine Display. I just upgraded from the previous years model with no issues, and am using the same supplied Thunderbolt 3 cable. The only difference for me is that plugging it back in wakes the display, so no need for a restart. Tried different graphics settings, like automatic switching, which didn't seem to make a difference.

External display not working until reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.