You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive icon in finder of non existing hard drive

Hello, yesterday I had a bit of an issue with a harddrive. I think it got corrupted. Back-up the files and formatted the drive, The drive works fine now. But in my macbookpro the drive still exist in de finder. I can not eject the drive, restarting finder also does not help. How can I get ride of this old connection, which is not longer there but still keeps showing?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 4:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 6:33 AM

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2020 6:33 AM in response to Digilux2_Amsterdam

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Hard drive icon in finder of non existing hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.