You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2nd gen with iOS 13 not displaying home bar for multi-tasking

iOS 13 has the nifty feature for swiping with multiple apps in split screen, but not showing home bar.

on my 2nd gen, 2018 iPad Pro. Ideas?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 11:05 AM

I found the answer in this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9ALKDu80s

at 5:50 , the app must be pulled into the middle of split screen and the the white home bar at actually displays at the bottom of the screen to allow for "slide over" apps! This must be a quirk for the 2nd gen. All the gestures work when you add the apps that way even for more old 2nd gen ipad.

I really appreciate your diligence in helping sort this out! Fun to find solutions to make it more effective.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2020 11:05 AM in response to QuickPost

I found the answer in this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9ALKDu80s

at 5:50 , the app must be pulled into the middle of split screen and the the white home bar at actually displays at the bottom of the screen to allow for "slide over" apps! This must be a quirk for the 2nd gen. All the gestures work when you add the apps that way even for more old 2nd gen ipad.

I really appreciate your diligence in helping sort this out! Fun to find solutions to make it more effective.

Jan 1, 2020 10:07 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for the year model, was not sure of that. Yes, the dock displays the apps from the bottom. I can drag an app to the right and get a split screen. I was referring to the small white line that is at the bottom of the screen allowing multiple apps on the split screen to be accessed with swipes in ios 13.

Perhaps, my elderly ipad does not support it.

Jan 1, 2020 10:11 AM in response to BrianKellyRealtor

While your iPad model does not display the Home Bar, you can still use Split View and Slide Over. All the gestures are the same, its just the newer iPad Pro models do not have a Home Button so there just a visual representation of a Home Bar on the screen. I too use an iPad Pro (2nd generation).

How to use Slide Over on your iPad — Apple Support

How to multitask with Split View on your iPad — Apple Support

Jan 1, 2020 10:39 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for the responses very much. In the first video sec:33 - adding apps to slide over, this is where my responses are different. I get the app from the bottom and can split screen. If I add a second and third, it just covers the last and having difficulty with the sec:44 swiping left doesn't want to show the other underlying apps. Then in sec:51... not responding like the video. Or at sec 1:07, the fan ...

So your 2nd gen ipad is allowing that?

iPad 2nd gen with iOS 13 not displaying home bar for multi-tasking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.