You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine didn't copy all files to new Mac

I just bought a new Mac and when I set it up, I copied all data from my external hd (time machine). But then realised, that lots of files were missing on my new machine. Mainly InDesign files. I've already contacted apple (they blamed InDesign). And I just contacted Adobe (they said its time machine). Now what? I don't know how much data is missing and why?! Lucky I can still access them on an older backup, but its still scary and should not be?! Anyone had the same problem?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:34 PM

It's Adobe, they (and Microsoft) do not allow their professional apps to be migrated. You need to manually install them on the new Mac. Your data files should have migrated but Adobe and Microsoft simply do not allow their professional apps to be migrated, they force the user (you) to manually install them hoping you have lost their install keys which would mean you have to re-buy them.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2020 9:34 PM in response to franziska26

It's Adobe, they (and Microsoft) do not allow their professional apps to be migrated. You need to manually install them on the new Mac. Your data files should have migrated but Adobe and Microsoft simply do not allow their professional apps to be migrated, they force the user (you) to manually install them hoping you have lost their install keys which would mean you have to re-buy them.

Time Machine didn't copy all files to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.