You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing photos on the iMac.

If I download photos to a second photo library, not the system library, are they stored there on the Computer hard disc? Are they "referenced" photos? Then if I move to the system library, they will be stored in the cloud? And where is My Photo Stream? it seems not always there, is it the same as Recents?

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 8:38 AM

Hey Docbill3109,

I see you have a question about photo libraries. I'll be happy to help out.

You're right that a separate library of photos will be stored on the computer, and only the system library will be uploaded to iCloud Photos. These are not references photos, but an entirely different library. The default location for these photo libraries is Users > [username] > Pictures.

You can learn a little more about My Photo Stream here: My Photo Stream in iCloud - Apple Support. If you are switching system libraries, and are not always seeing the My Photo Stream, this may be because there is a limit to how many photos get uploaded, so this limit may have been reached. Here's some info about limits: My Photo Stream and Shared Albums limits - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2020 8:38 AM in response to Docbill3109

Hey Docbill3109,

I see you have a question about photo libraries. I'll be happy to help out.

You're right that a separate library of photos will be stored on the computer, and only the system library will be uploaded to iCloud Photos. These are not references photos, but an entirely different library. The default location for these photo libraries is Users > [username] > Pictures.

You can learn a little more about My Photo Stream here: My Photo Stream in iCloud - Apple Support. If you are switching system libraries, and are not always seeing the My Photo Stream, this may be because there is a limit to how many photos get uploaded, so this limit may have been reached. Here's some info about limits: My Photo Stream and Shared Albums limits - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

Jan 6, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Docbill3109

And where is My Photo Stream? it seems not always there, is it the same as Recents?

One more thing - the My Photo Stream Album will only be shown in your System Photo Library and only, if My Photo Stream is enabled, and if iCloud Photos is not enabled. I would not use My Photo Stream, if you are using iCloud Photos. It would just complicate things, because it cannot transfer videos or the video components of Live Photos.

Only one of your libraries, the system photo library can sync with iCloud at all. You have to enable the iCloud features for this library.

Storing photos on the iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.