You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading iMovie to Youtube

I exported a 22 min video out of iMovie with export settings of 1080p and High Resolution. The video file is a 3.22 gb. I am trying to upload the file to Youtube but it is taking a very very long time. How can I resolve this and get it uploaded? Should I export out of iMovie with different settings? Can I compress the file in order to be able to upload it to youtube? Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 5:34 PM

Actually, you might consider aborting the present upload effort. Instead, export your movie to your desktop and then sign in to You Tube and drag your video into You Tube's upload window.

You Tube's online uploader has not been working well since Apple's recent upgrades. The most reliable way is to drag the movie in to You Tube as described in my previous post.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Rich839

Actually, you might consider aborting the present upload effort. Instead, export your movie to your desktop and then sign in to You Tube and drag your video into You Tube's upload window.

You Tube's online uploader has not been working well since Apple's recent upgrades. The most reliable way is to drag the movie in to You Tube as described in my previous post.

-- Rich

Jan 3, 2020 11:16 AM in response to reilee1234

As I recall, You Tube's file duration (running time) limitation is 15 minutes. Your video is 22 minutes, so it exceeds the limitation. I don't think that the actual GB size matters as much as the duration and, in any event, 3.22 GB is not that much. You Tube has a procedure for verifying your account so that you can use longer duration times. Check the You Tube help feature on its website.

You can always make the GB size of a file smaller by exporting at a lower resolution, lower quality and faster compression. However, there will be a reduction in quality and it won't affect the duration anyway.

When you "quit the process" what exactly happened? In other words, what steps did you take to upload and what happened when you tried? Did the upload start? Did you get an error message?

-- Rich

Uploading iMovie to Youtube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.