You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unethical “Apple Support” practice

I contacted Apple support to report a phishing scam. After running some diagnostics (which I now doubt) they told me that someone overseas was trying to hack my Apple ID. In order to close the port they were trying to hack, Apple had to send a fake Apple Cash debit ($998.00) and then they could identify and close the port. They kept pointing out that the transaction was a fake Apple Cash debit and that I was not being charged. Well, I was being charged. 8 payments of $998.00 each. They reversed 3 of those payments, but then my bank put a hold on the debit card for suspicious activity. Apple kept insisting I call the bank to remove the hold so they could reverse the other charges. The bank was not going to take the hold off of the card.

Apple will not refund the money and the bank is currently not approving our fraud claim. I am out approx $5,000.

This practice by Apple Support seems incredibly fraudulent. At the time I had NO reason to doubt them since I did call the Apple Support # directly.

I have no idea who actually received that money.

Has anyone else faced this problem and were you able to get your money back?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 6:05 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 4, 2020 11:45 AM in response to GP028

First, you do not contact Apple support about phishing - simply follow the instructions here (that is sending them an email):

https://www.apple.com/ca/legal/more-resources/phishing/

So, it is obvious you were scammed.

You did not tell us what phone number you called. That is very important.

And, Apple would NEVER ask for a fake (or real) Apple Cash debit. The scammers were smart asking for a debit because you have no protection using debit - your only protection with a bank is using a credit card.

So, it is also important to find out exactly what steps were taken, all info regarding how/what you told your bank, etc, etc.

After that, contact your bank. Then contact the police and file a report. Then file a complaint with IC3, an internet crime complaint center run by the FBI:

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/splash.aspx

Unethical “Apple Support” practice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.