You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The file "***" couldn't be opened

Hi everyone,

Since I updated my mac mini (2018) to macOS Catalina (currently version 10.15.1 (19B88)) I started to have this problem that after a while I couldn't open or manipulate files. I always get the following message "The file "***" couldn't be opened". It almost happens everytime to my Desktop folder while other folders keep unaffected. There is no real apparent cause to this problem.

I have tried different solutions like in repairing my disk, restarting finder running a few terminal commands without any luck. The only thing that helps is restarting my mac but this is only temporary since this issue always returns once a day. Somebody knows what is going on?

Thank you in advance!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 9:54 AM

Verify your software is up to date:

Download macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Combo Update - Apple ...

Similar questions

2 replies

The file "***" couldn't be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.