You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing multiple layouts and syncing text between sheets

Hello. I am learning Numbers to use as a replacement for Filemaker Pro, which I've used for years to maintain monthly expenses and maintenance information. I've been watching various video tutorials and am slowly getting it, but have a couple questions.

1. I've learned how to sync numeric values from one Numbers sheet or table to another just by touching to assign the value to another field. This works with numbers but I don't see a way to ensure that a text field from one sheet is carried over live to another since text fields won't let me enter the "=" sign. Can text be synced, and is any syncing one-way only since you are referencing one field to another, and Numbers is not truly a database management program like FMP.
  2. Secondly, is it possible to create a layout that moves the various headers into say, a stack, or lets you position them in something other than the x,y coordinates, thus allowing you to just look at one record at a time? In other words can you click row #5 and then see a completely different layout or view of row 5 data? The attached screen grab from FMP is what I'm after, in additional to the view in Numbers also attached. Thanks very much.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 1:20 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 6, 2020 6:46 PM in response to zryall

Keep in mind that Numbers is a spreadsheet app whereas FMP is a database app. It simply can't do many of the things that FMP does.

If you are summarizing expenses based on a log of transactions then you might have a look at the Personal Budget template at File > New in your menu. If need to summarize them by month, then have a look at this expanded Personal Budget template (Dropbox download).

SG

Viewing multiple layouts and syncing text between sheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.