You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finish changing your password?

Huh? I never started to change my iCloud password. Almost every morning for the past three years I get this annoying prompt. I changed it several times, only after I started to receive this prompt. No luck.

I've read and reread this forum, and apparently there are hundreds with the same problem, no solution except these two.

One: Log out, then back in to iCloud. I tried the laborious was of signing in an out of iCloud. No luck. So apparently it might have worked for some, but definitely not for me. It is hardly a universal solution.

Two: Make the log in password the same as your iCloud password. No way! That completely defeats the purpose and security my password brings to my account.

This notice has really soured me on Appple. Does anyone have universal solution? Maybe there is a prompt, or a step you have to take when changing your password, or signing out, and back in to iCloud I missed. Any real solutions?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 8:07 AM

10 replies

Jan 7, 2020 12:28 PM in response to greenmind

Also *if* it's my log in password, how in the world do I turn off the prompt to change it. I suffer from memory issues, but still managed to remember a complicated password. No one is breaking it. Still repetition helped me remember it. Remembering a completely new password, will be difficult. There must be a way to make my Mac keep asking for it. I will try and post a screenshot of it the next time I see it, but I work better wt audio. I've heard my Mac give me the prompt "Finish changing your password.," hundreds of times. When I click on the prompt it takes me immediately to system preferences, iCloud, and not to Users And Groups, Log In Items. That is what makes me believe it is an iCloud problem.

Jan 23, 2020 12:57 PM in response to tygb

I took a screen shot, and it's on my desktop, but how in the world do I post it here? Clicking on the paperclip does nothing. Will I have to save the screenshot to a webpage link, before being able to post? If so, how is that done? The of the notification just says "Finish Changing Your Password. Your password also protects access to data stored in iCloud. To finish c..." There are two options, "Details" & "Close." Selecting details normally just takes to iCloud settings. I intended to take a screenshot of this also, but today selecting details, did absolutely nothing.

Jan 23, 2020 2:32 PM in response to Eric Root

I only figured out how to post images, by dragging the screenshot from my desktop. I still don't know how to make the message (finish changing your password,) go away. Even if I had accidentally come across a way to fix this problem, I wouldn't know I had fixed it, for several days to a week. I don't get the pop up everyday. As far as I know the problem still remains.

Jan 24, 2020 9:50 AM in response to tygb

I understand how to change my password, but do not want to change it. I have memory difficulties, and learning a new one will be difficult. Why in the world am I receiving this notice, and how in the world can I make my Mac shut up about changing log in password. I’m sorry, but did I not originally explain the problem clearly the first time. I thought Macs were supposed to be user friendly, And this problem is causing me to want to turn off my System password altogether.

Finish changing your password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.