You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop-up stating "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPad."

[fwiw, I've seen similar posts, but I haven't found one that exactly matches my issue]

Just now during a call I got a system popup while I was on the home screen (springboard), stating that "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPad". It states "If you recently signed into "my device name" you can ignore this notification." The iPad name shown in the popup is correct. I've seen this message once before in the past few weeks.

Here's the problem, I didn't sign in on that iPad, and when I unlock it and go to the messages app it asks me to sign in, so I clearly did NOT recently sign into iMessage on my iPad. Looking on icloud.com I see that only three devices are signed in: my phone, my watch, and my iPad. Seems fine.

My question: how could I be getting this prompt if I didn't log in myself? Is this a known glitch that may occur days or weeks after a password reset, or is something funny going on?

I'm extra concerned because it seems a few weeks back someone tried to log into my account. In that case I got a system popup "Use this phone to reset your Apple ID password (allow / don't allow)". That's very vague for an official popup, but that's another story.. Based on advice from macrumors I reset my iCloud password at that time, so maybe that's why I'm getting iMessage weirdness, BUT: I did not log into iMessage on the iPad, so I'm still confused why I would be getting the popup described at the top.

Ideas anyone?

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 1:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 1:36 PM

I occasionally get that message when I haven't signed into my iPad.

Check your device list to see if there is a device signed in that you don't recognize. You can remove the device using the steps in the article below. As a precaution, change your password.

Apple ID device list -Check to see where you‘re signed in

Apple ID Password Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2020 1:36 PM in response to pgk2008

I occasionally get that message when I haven't signed into my iPad.

Check your device list to see if there is a device signed in that you don't recognize. You can remove the device using the steps in the article below. As a precaution, change your password.

Apple ID device list -Check to see where you‘re signed in

Apple ID Password Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Jan 13, 2020 2:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned above, only my own devices show as signed in, no mystery devices in the list. My confusion comes from the fact that the popup a) appeared without any apparent trigger long after any changes were made, and b) the popup states my apple ID and phone number a now being used on a new iPad" suggesting that some kind of successful login took place recently.

I've done a couple of password resets in recent weeks, and I'm beginning to think that this weird and oddly timed popup is simply a byproduct of the password reset procedure. If it is though, it would be nice to get some clarification from Apple, because to the casual user this looks pretty alarming!

Jan 13, 2020 2:48 PM in response to Eric Root

Still interested if anyone has more detail on what could be going on here.

Is this triggered by some glitch in iCloud or iOS, or could it be something nefarious? Or is the wording just clumsy and should it instead say something like "Your Apple ID and phone number CAN now be used for iMessage on this iPad after logging in." ?

Pop-up stating "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPad."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.