You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which cable do i need to connect macbook air to an hp printer?

I've bought a second hand HP Photosmart 2610 and just need to know which cable i need to connect it to a MacBook Air. I have a drawer full of cables! Want to check before I go and buy a new one! Thanks!!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 10:24 AM

Doing a Google search it appears your printer has

• USB
  • PictBridge
  • 802.3 Ethernet connectivity

So either attach the printer to your home network via an Ethernet cable

or use a USB cable Type-A to Type-B cable.

Now what kinds of connectors does your Macbook Air have? USB3 Type-A connectors,

or USB-C connectors

If you have USB-C connectors, then you will need an adapter if you want to use USB. The simplest would be a USB-C to USB3 adapter. But you can get full featured docks and mini-docks that give you the USB3.

However, personally I would setup the Ethernet printing, then you do not have to cable your Mac to your Printer. Just use your home network to print from anywhere in your home. I have my printer setup in a closet that also has power and an Ethernet port (I thought ahead when upgrading my home 😀).

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2020 10:24 AM in response to Technoeejit3

Doing a Google search it appears your printer has

• USB
  • PictBridge
  • 802.3 Ethernet connectivity

So either attach the printer to your home network via an Ethernet cable

or use a USB cable Type-A to Type-B cable.

Now what kinds of connectors does your Macbook Air have? USB3 Type-A connectors,

or USB-C connectors

If you have USB-C connectors, then you will need an adapter if you want to use USB. The simplest would be a USB-C to USB3 adapter. But you can get full featured docks and mini-docks that give you the USB3.

However, personally I would setup the Ethernet printing, then you do not have to cable your Mac to your Printer. Just use your home network to print from anywhere in your home. I have my printer setup in a closet that also has power and an Ethernet port (I thought ahead when upgrading my home 😀).

which cable do i need to connect macbook air to an hp printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.