You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from a purchased MacBook and the old user's Apple ID is blocking me from updating

Hello,

I recently purchased an older MacBook Pro (mid-'12) to utilize for my small business -- a stand alone machine. It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up and LOVE Apple products.

Now, I'm updating since this machine sat around for many, many years without being updated. The old user's Apple ID pops up and I can't entire in my Apple ID to retrieve updates? Help !!!

Thank you and Best Regards,

Chris

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 5:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 7:19 PM

You need to boot from Internet Recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the device completely. Then, reinstall macOS.

You can also download an OS and create a bootable USB stick which you can use to boot from to ease the drive and reinstall the OS.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2020 7:19 PM in response to CJK1971

You need to boot from Internet Recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the device completely. Then, reinstall macOS.

You can also download an OS and create a bootable USB stick which you can use to boot from to ease the drive and reinstall the OS.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Updating from a purchased MacBook and the old user's Apple ID is blocking me from updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.