You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else got problems transferring aperture libraries to photos and continuing to sync iPhone, iPad etc?

Anyone else having problems with photos? Have several ex aperture libraries which I have migrated to photos but opening these libraries whilst trying to sync my iPhone etc with my Mac is a nightmare.

Have had to switch off using iCloud to sync my phots now.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 12:46 PM

Photos 5.0 on Catalina needs to do a lot of background processing, to index the photos properly. I would not switch between libraries, if Photos is warning, that it is at a critical phase. Try to upgrade the libraries one after the other.

if you need to look at your old Aperture libraries, while you are waiting for Photos to get the indexing done, you could patch Aperture to run on Catalina. Aperture will be a bit limited, because the references to 32bit code need removing, but it will suffice to browse the original Aperture libraries, see: https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/

To be able to open a library again, that has already been migrated to Catalina, change the filename extension back from .migratedaplibrary to .aplibrary .

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2020 12:46 PM in response to John Deeprose

Photos 5.0 on Catalina needs to do a lot of background processing, to index the photos properly. I would not switch between libraries, if Photos is warning, that it is at a critical phase. Try to upgrade the libraries one after the other.

if you need to look at your old Aperture libraries, while you are waiting for Photos to get the indexing done, you could patch Aperture to run on Catalina. Aperture will be a bit limited, because the references to 32bit code need removing, but it will suffice to browse the original Aperture libraries, see: https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/

To be able to open a library again, that has already been migrated to Catalina, change the filename extension back from .migratedaplibrary to .aplibrary .

Jan 19, 2020 12:08 PM in response to John Deeprose

Have you been using My Photo Stream or iCloud Photos? With Photos you can only use iCloud with the system Photo Library. And only the system photo library will appear in the Media browser. SO you can use only one of your libraries for syncing with iCloud and the mobile devices.

Have you checked, if your Aperture Libraries contained items that are incompatible with Photos 5.0 on Catalina? Audio files, for example, PDF files, old Qicktime Movies with an incompatible codec? These items will be causing problems, when you try to sync the library with iCloud Photos.

Jan 19, 2020 12:15 PM in response to léonie

I am using iCloud Photos but to be honest I find it very confusing. I am now using the system photo library but when I want to look at some of my aperture libraries that's when I get totally confused. There appears to be an awful lot of updating, uploading etc going on with threats of total deletion if I press the wrong button. There does not seem to be away of simply closing the ex aperture library. Opening up a new library shuts down photos. I will persevere but it all seems unnecessarily complicated. Thanks for your reply

Jan 20, 2020 6:01 AM in response to léonie

Thanks very much for that. I have now switched off iCloud to keep things simple. I have noticed the amount of time being used for processing and I suspect that's what has caused me some issues. I do now seem to have corrupted library due to my impatience/ignorance. I am not impressed with Apple on this matter but what can you do ? Thanks for your help.

Anyone else got problems transferring aperture libraries to photos and continuing to sync iPhone, iPad etc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.