You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo storage

I have a 256gig iPad and a 16gig iPhone. I have both items synced so my photos are available on both items. My 5gig iCloud storage is almost full.

is there away to store photos only on my iPad, given that this has the most available storage?

thanks.

iPad Air, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 2:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 2:33 AM

If you use iCloud Photos, you could only switch off iCloud Photos in the settings for iCloud on the phone and send photos from the phone via AirDrop to your iPad.

This is a rather complicated way. Buying more storage in iCloud would be easier.

Or copy the photos you don't need in iCloud to your computer to free up some space in iCloud:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2020 2:33 AM in response to 3Stags

If you use iCloud Photos, you could only switch off iCloud Photos in the settings for iCloud on the phone and send photos from the phone via AirDrop to your iPad.

This is a rather complicated way. Buying more storage in iCloud would be easier.

Or copy the photos you don't need in iCloud to your computer to free up some space in iCloud:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Jan 23, 2020 3:23 AM in response to 3Stags

An alternative might be to consider using Google Drive - which provides 15GB Cloud Storage for free (more can be purchased). Install the Google Drive App on your devices - and you’ll be able to enable access to it via your native Files App.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/google-drive-online-backup/id507874739

• Download the Google Drive app for iOS from the iTunes store
  • To turn on auto backup for photos in Google Drive, go to Settings
  • Tap on Photos
  • Tap the toggle switch to turn on Auto Backup.

Microsoft OneDrive also offers 5GB free Cloud Storage (the same as iCloud) and auto backup of Photos to the Microsoft Cloud.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-onedrive/id477537958

Google will likely be the best “free” alternative for you.

It might be seriously worth you consideration to move to the lowest “paid” tier of iCloud Storage - as filling your free storage has implications for other Apple Services linked to your AppleID across your devices. It’s only £0.79/$0.79 per month for 50GB - this being sufficient for many/most users.

I hope this information is helpful in providing some advice and alternatives.

Jan 23, 2020 2:28 AM in response to 3Stags

No. not really.

If you do not wan't to pay for iCloud storage your best bet would be to export the photos to a PC or Mac.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can't directly transfer the photos from the iPhone to the iPad without iCloud photos. And you can't use the storage of the iPad instead of the iCloud storage.

If you want to keep all the photos on the iPhone you probably want to use iCloud storage and Optimize iPhone Storage

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Photo storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.