You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete a user from users and groups on Catalina

Hey all, I am having some issues I was hoping you all could help with. I purchased a late 2012 Mac mini running Catalina from a shop that refurbishes them. It came with an account called "user" as admin with no password. I created a new account for myself and cannot seem to delete the "user" account.

I go to users and groups, unlock the pad lock, select the "user" and hit the (-). it comes up with a prompt to type in the users password and I hit enter as there is no password on that account. the pop up goes away but the account remains.

I have also followed the steps to go into the Director Utility and delete it that way but it also did not work. I found the user, hit the minus, and it remains.

I also tried to create a password for the account and it won't let me.

Any ideas? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:03 AM

The Mac Mini was not properly prepared for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Contact the refurbisher/reseller and see if they can provide you with the password. If not, then the only way to get rid of that account is to Erase and Reinstall macOS.

see > How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

and > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Jay528

The Mac Mini was not properly prepared for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Contact the refurbisher/reseller and see if they can provide you with the password. If not, then the only way to get rid of that account is to Erase and Reinstall macOS.

see > How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

and > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Can't delete a user from users and groups on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.