You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not upgrade OSX. Confusing and contradictory info.

My Imac late 2013 thinks it's running 10.9.5

I tried downloading and installing Mavericks, but it didn't seem to do anything and still thinks it's running 10.9.5

Looked up Catalina in the Apple Store - where it says it's installed

So I should be running Catalina, but About This Mac says 10.9.5, and some software won't run because it says I'm using outdated OSX. But I can't download and install any OS upgrades, and the store thinks I'm running Catalina already!

Very weird.

Can anyone shed any light?

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 3:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 12:14 AM

I got rid of all OSX installers, and then was able to install 10.14.6 Mojave. Didn't want catalina as I read this stops 32 bit games from running, and i have some of these. Actually works, so it may have been down to Mac thinking it had a install in progress or similar.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance, which I think helped me connect the dots. Hopefully will be ok now. :)

Cheers

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2020 12:14 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I got rid of all OSX installers, and then was able to install 10.14.6 Mojave. Didn't want catalina as I read this stops 32 bit games from running, and i have some of these. Actually works, so it may have been down to Mac thinking it had a install in progress or similar.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance, which I think helped me connect the dots. Hopefully will be ok now. :)

Cheers

Jan 27, 2020 4:15 PM in response to hal188

Apple menu > About This Mac will tell you what version macOS the machine is running.

macOS 10.9.5 IS Mavericks, by the way.

The Mac App Store may be confused by a partial (or complete) download of the macOS 10.15 Catalina download.

Check your Applications folder for the Catalina installer - I believe it's "Install Catalina". You can launch the installer from the Applications folder or delete that app and try a fresh download from the App Store.

Here's how to upgrade to Catalina:

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Jan 27, 2020 9:13 PM in response to hal188

Yes.

You might try installing Catalina from a bootable external drive, as a USB flash drive or USB external hard drive or ssd.

Here is an Apple Support document that details the process.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Before you do the above, however, you should consider running the EtreCheck diagnostic app. There may be something else confounding the upgrade installation, an anti-virus app or adware or other malware.

EtreCheck is an awesome little diagnostic app that gathers and displays important debugging information about your Macintosh and allows you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is very highly regarded here in the Support Community. It was written by a respected member and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate your way to the Mac App Store OR to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve installed and run the app and created the report please post it with your reply to this message. For best results please give EtreCheck full drive access upon installation.

For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can then use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious issues that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

d.i.

Jan 27, 2020 4:21 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks.

Trashed 'Install Catalina' and downloaded again.

I get as far as clicking 'Install', but then nothing happens. The MacOS Catalina popup seems frozen and no progress is made.

Yet Apple seem to think my iMac is compatible.

I'm thinking there's confusion about which version is currently installed, but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Any further suggestions?

iMac will not upgrade OSX. Confusing and contradictory info.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.