You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Connectivity and Sound Output Issues in Catalina (and still in the beta)

Hi all,

Abstract: In Catalina, Bose bluetooth devices are randomly being switched to other outputs, but not disconnecting.

I'll go into detail about my setup here in case it is relevant, though I suspect this problem is widespread enough from my reading to not be specific to it.

I run a MacBook Pro and two external monitors. I use a Belkin Thunderbolt 2 dock, through which one monitor is connected via HDMI, and the other (primary) is direct HDMI to the MacBook Pro. The headphone port on the dock is unoccupied.

I use a range of Bose bluetooth audio devices. They may seem excessive, but I buy things I don't need, and it is nice to have different options. They are:

• SoundWear
  • OE SoundLink
  • Quiet Control 30
  • Revolve SoundLink

Since upgrading to Catalina, the sound output will randomly change to something else as the primary output, such as the primary monitor (which has no sound output).

Solutions I have tried:

Debug, resetting bluetooth modules, removing any Library file with 'bluetooth' in the name in both ~/Library and /Library, dozens of NVRAM resets, SMC resets, removed WhatsApp, tried Audio Linker, all to no avail. Even just upgraded to the .3 beta hoping it was fixed. It's not.

Anyone have any additional ideas? I really don't have time for a reinstall right now, especially restoring licences for some software.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 1:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 5:49 PM

24 hours after the official .3 release and problem seems to be gone.

To be sure, immediately after the update finished, I removed the bluetooth.plist, connected apple keyboard, reset module (option+shift+bluetooth menu with a device connected), and then removed all devices, removed the bluetooth.plist again to be sure, and then rebooted with a NVRAM reset.

Hasn't switched outputs yet. Only tested on Bose SoundWear for a significant amount of time to comment. Can't say for other Bose devices yet.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2020 5:49 PM in response to rayjayjohnson

24 hours after the official .3 release and problem seems to be gone.

To be sure, immediately after the update finished, I removed the bluetooth.plist, connected apple keyboard, reset module (option+shift+bluetooth menu with a device connected), and then removed all devices, removed the bluetooth.plist again to be sure, and then rebooted with a NVRAM reset.

Hasn't switched outputs yet. Only tested on Bose SoundWear for a significant amount of time to comment. Can't say for other Bose devices yet.

Bluetooth Connectivity and Sound Output Issues in Catalina (and still in the beta)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.