You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone Automatically Switches to Bluetooth Speaker While Talking

I am listening to music on my bluetooth speaker, then I take a phone call. It automatically switches from the speaker to my phone, as it should. The problem is, while I am talking on the phone, it automatically switches back to the bluetooth speaker in the middle of my conversation. There is no sound or notification and usually by the time I figure out what happened, I lose the call.

How can I prevent this without turning off bluetooth completely? Is there a setting to manually connect to bluetooth devices instead of automatically? Or at least ask me if I want to switch, like with the wifi?

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 7:46 AM

I asked if there was a way to do it WITHOUT turning off Bluetooth. None of those other solutions address the issue when I am ALREADY talking on the phone. This is a design flaw. The phone should not AUTOMATICALLY switch to bluetooth when I am already talking without asking me to.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2020 7:46 AM in response to i_rina

I asked if there was a way to do it WITHOUT turning off Bluetooth. None of those other solutions address the issue when I am ALREADY talking on the phone. This is a design flaw. The phone should not AUTOMATICALLY switch to bluetooth when I am already talking without asking me to.

Feb 2, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Zdubya15

Hey there Zdubya15,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues with your audio switching to a Bluetooth device during a call. I’ll be happy to help with this.

Apple has info on how to bypass your Bluetooth device for calls. 'To use the iPhone receiver or speaker for calls, do any of the following:

• Answer a call by tapping the iPhone screen.
  • During a call, tap Audio, then choose iPhone or Speaker Phone.
  • Turn off the Bluetooth device, unpair it, or move out of range.
  • Go to Settings , tap Bluetooth, then turn off Bluetooth.'

You can read more about this here:

Connect Bluetooth devices to iPhone

Another option would be disconnect from your Bluetooth accessories from Control Center. 'When you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device immediately disconnects from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use important features.' Take a look at this article for more details:

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center

I hope this helps.

Phone Automatically Switches to Bluetooth Speaker While Talking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.