You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing album artwork in MacOS Catalina.

Since installing Catalina most of my album artwork does not appear on screen. If I add new music to my library it's works fine but older tracks around 4000 just show the musical note icon. However if I right click on an icon and choose get info and select artwork the artwork is there! I had hoped that the latest software update (10.15.3) would resolve this issue but sadly not. The artwork works fine on all my iOS devices and Apple TV so this problem is only effecting Mac OS, any ideas to fix this please.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 7:15 AM

6 replies

Feb 3, 2020 9:16 AM in response to macsync3

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, macsync3!

I understand you're not seeing the album artwork for some of the albums you have on your Mac. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

In the Music app, click File > Library and select get album artwork. Your artwork should then show up.

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Feb 5, 2020 6:25 AM in response to macsync3

The latest updates still haven’t fixed my Album Art Issues, I’m running Catalina 10.15.3 on my Mac, iPad OS 13.3.1 on my iPad Pro 3rd Gen, and IOS 13.3.1 on my iPhone 11Pro Max. I have over 29K songs on all my devices, and at least a third of the album artwork is missing on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I don’t subscribe Apple Music. These are songs I bought from iTunes and ones put on my devices. Some of the album art is not only missing on my iPhone, some of the album art is also mixed up on various albums and playlists. In other words the wrong album art is displayed on some of the albums and playlists, only on the iPhone. I see that some of you said that the latest updates fixed your album art issues. Is it something else I need to do other than syncing my devices to the Mac? I’m beyond frustrated with Apple, because I made several trips to the Genius Bar, talked to various techs and engineers online and by phone, and sent two emails to Mr. Cook over the course of four months regarding these  issues. I feel that Apple should do more to address these annoying issues, because for the amount of money Apple demands for their premium products, we in return demand premium service. I believe if Mr. Jobs were here, he would crack the whip or heads would roll. 

Feb 5, 2020 11:55 PM in response to kevjazzele

Hi Kevjazzle, many thanks for your post, I decided to call Apple support - they could not understand the problem either, eventually he setup a new user logged in to iCloud and yay it worked all the album artwork started downloading!!!!!

all my data had to be transferred to the new user but everything is now working well, the phone call lasted 2.5 hours but we got it sorted out, hope this will work for you.

Feb 6, 2020 4:35 AM in response to macsync3

Thank you so much macsync3, How long did the transfer take? I have over 600GB’s of data. Also, will doing this re sync my IOS devices to show all and correct artwork? I’m willing to try almost anything at this point. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to address this issue. They need someone like you at Apple. That way, some of these issues that’s been going on for WAY TOO LONG would finally be addressed.

Missing album artwork in MacOS Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.