You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac running slow

How can I make my iMac run better. I keep getting a spinning wheel?

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 12:33 PM

Hello, Firejim123

Sorry to hear you’re having this problem with your Mac.

I think we can help you, but we’ll need a little bit more information about the computer.

Click Apple menu > About This Mac and tell us the model, year and macOS that you are running.

(Please do not post the serial number)

Meanwhile, you can restart in safe mode to let the machine clear caches and do general housekeeping. This could take 10 minutes or so. Hold the Shift key when restarting to boot to safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate problems - Apple Support

Also, EtreCheck is an awesome little diagnostic app that gathers and displays important debugging information about your Macintosh and allows you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store OR to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve installed the app and created the report please post it with your reply to this message. 

For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can then use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious issues that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

d.i.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2020 12:33 PM in response to Firejim123

Hello, Firejim123

Sorry to hear you’re having this problem with your Mac.

I think we can help you, but we’ll need a little bit more information about the computer.

Click Apple menu > About This Mac and tell us the model, year and macOS that you are running.

(Please do not post the serial number)

Meanwhile, you can restart in safe mode to let the machine clear caches and do general housekeeping. This could take 10 minutes or so. Hold the Shift key when restarting to boot to safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate problems - Apple Support

Also, EtreCheck is an awesome little diagnostic app that gathers and displays important debugging information about your Macintosh and allows you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store OR to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve installed the app and created the report please post it with your reply to this message. 

For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can then use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious issues that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

d.i.

Feb 1, 2020 12:47 PM in response to Firejim123

That's a decent iMac, albeit almost ten years old.

Please take a few minutes to boot into safe mode and see if the iMacs performance improves.

Then restart normally and check the performance again.

Also, I recommend that you download and run the free version of EtreCheck that I mentioned above. That will give us a clearer picture of your hardware and any software that may be obviously conflicting or compromising the performance of the iMac.

IMac running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.