You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to move documents around inside a file folder on my desktop. Mac 10.15.3

Trying to organize documents inside a file folder. Not working I can click and drag a document but it won't let me drop it where I want to move it. Seems simple but it's not working

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 5:21 PM

10 replies

Feb 6, 2020 11:38 AM in response to nightingayle

That's ok, you're never too young to learn new things.

There's no point to attempting to sort files by chronological order. Viewing them can only be accomplished using one of the Finder's columnar formats (in other words, not "icon view") and clicking a "date" column header, or the icon in the Finder window and choosing "sort by" one of the date options (see the screenshot below) and perhaps other ways I can't think of right now.

If you take lots of time dragging icons around in "icon view" in an attempt to show their chronology it's probably not worth the effort. You can certainly choose the finder's View menu > Sort By > followed by whatever your needs require.

To capture and insert a screenshot read the Appendix in Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. Briefly, you choose the "picture" icon below where you're composing a reply. It's shown in that User Tip:

Feb 6, 2020 10:11 AM in response to nightingayle

There is something probably being misunderstood either on my side or yours, or both.

Please clarify: are you talking about moving the items in the desktop proper, or in a window open to show the contents of the Desktop folder?

Anyway, the answer ought to be the same, since they both work.

You are in Icon view, right? That is the only thing that makes sense, since in other views you can't move stuff around, but can you confirm, please?

The above is an image of my Desktop folder, all arranged (after "Clean Up by Kind").

And now here it is, after I moved stuff around:

As you can see, documents are all over the place; I just moved a few around just to confirm that it works.

Feb 6, 2020 8:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

On the desktop & selecting View & List it does not offer a "None". Opening the file folder, under Perform Tasks, the Sort By offers options but not a "none" then clicking on Change the Item Grouping there is a "none" which I selected but still I can drag but not drop and sort the documents the way I have always done in my Documents files.

Feb 6, 2020 11:17 AM in response to nightingayle

(FYI, I'm going on 80 so my tech. skills kind of reflect my age.) I took a photo of each but not sure how to attach them here. One via Desktop via Finder, View, Sort By: and there is a "None" while the second accessed via the file folder itself which is parked on my Desktop & it does not offer me a "None" under 'Sort By' and I think that's the problem.) It's not a big deal. Just trying to align tax documents in chronological order. Thanks again. You've been great!

Trying to move documents around inside a file folder on my desktop. Mac 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.